Tuesday, July 11, 2006

goodness

Greed is stupid. Some people are so eager to get their hands on money or power, they stop being considerate of other people. Dealing with people lately, I've run into this truth a little more often than I'd like. I'd just like to say that you can only be that way for so long before some situation humbles you. I don't wish anything bad on people, it's just that I know that karma is real. There's too much ill will floating around out there for the inconsiderate people to go unscathed.

What goodness I do find in people is so noticeable in the midst of all this mess. I love people with good hearts - easy to give, graceful in receiving, slow to grudge (or at least quick to let stuff go), eager to help... I try to be that way. I believe that it's important for us to extend the best parts of ourselves as often and as broadly as we can, to the extent that we're able. Group dynamics are a trip. 'Cause I know I'm a better person when I'm around good people with good intentions. I also know that I'm more negative when I'm surrounded by ugliness. Basically, when people say that we each have to be the change that we want to be in the world, I understand why. We are the steering wheels. As we act, so will we influence those around us. If you walk down the street, and you pass someone and happen to make eye contact, smile at them. They are more likely to smile back than anything else. I figure you know what will happen if you make eye contact and glare at them, or scowl at them. Good will and ill will are both contagious, but the beginning point of either is the personal choice we make as individuals regarding what we will offer to the world around us. It's so simple. It's so true. It doesn't always work - Jesus offered His everything, His very best, and was killed. They shot and killed Martin and Malcolm. But look at the impact that Mother Teresa had on folks' charitable giving. Ever heard of Alex's Lemonade Stand? (Google it.) Goodness can grow large from small seeds.

And with all these greedy, inconsiderate actions out there, goodness can use all the help it can get. So please, be nice to people. Considerate, kind, helpful, and loving. 'Cause for real for real? I need some goodness to spread through the world and come to me, to help me combat the negative ill will that is snatching at the edges of my peace. It's trying to get me to step out of the character I aspire towards daily - trying to get me to take my earrings off, shed my better upbringing, sully the fruit of my lips, and show some folks that stereotypical ball-busting sista who wouldn't have to exist if only people did what they were supposed to do.

wooooo saaaahhhhhh...

relax, relate, release...

nam yo ho ren ge kyoooooooooo...

mamasay mamasah ma ma ku sah...

:-)